Friday, November 25, 2016

A Little Southern Hospitality


Hubby with Buddy Jeff Gebott


I have never been a food blogger, but I am today. 

When you have one of the best meals of your life, somehow you magically become one. My apologies to my mother, my mother-in-law, my grandmother and my husband's grandmother (God rest their lovely souls), but I just had THE best Thanksgiving meal I have ever eaten. 

Hands down.

My husband's high school buddy Jeff (whom he hadn't seen in 24 years) joined us high in the snowy Colorado mountains for Thanksgiving this year. Oh... And did I mention that he just so happens to be a famous award-winning chef? 

That's right. Chef Jeff.

It's nice to have friends in high places. Literally. So, when Jeff arrived at our mountain getaway and politely asked if he could take over our kitchen, we gladly handed it over to him. We sat like sponges and absorbed everything as he worked his magic.

If you haven't heard of him yet, I'm sure you will soon. 

Allow me introduce Chef Jeff Gebott, who recently competed in the 2016 World Food Championships.

And now--without further ado--here's a look at our Thanksgiving feast:

The Bombers:  Galaxy, Christmas Ale, Friek, and False Summit

Funkwerks Galaxy:
A Single Hopped Saison with passion fruit juice


St. Bernardus Christmas Ale:
Traditionally made by Trappist Monks in France and Belgium, this is a dark seasonal with a spicy, mint-like flavor profile exuding the tastes of warming alcohol, fermented molasses, apricots, licorice and marzipan that are highlighted by the perfect balance of brewing sugars

Odell Brewing Company Friek:
An ale fermented with wild yeast, tart cherries,
and raspberries, and aged in oak barrels

Elevation False Summit (My personal fave):
A seasonal quadrupel ale aged in Breckenridge bourbon barrels with aromas of dark fruits, vanilla, bourbon, caramel, oak and dark Belgian candi sugar

The Wine: 2013 Helfrich Vin D'Alsace Gewurztraminer

Golden yellow, floral and spicy, with delicate hints of rose petal and lychee fruit. Rich, full-bodied and well-structured, it reveals aromas of flowers, spices and exotic fruits, such as mango and passion fruit and develops with rich tangy notes that bring out the freshness of the wine.



The Turkey

THE most tender turkey I have ever eaten. Dry rub seasoned and smoked slow and low with cherry and hickory wood. Oh, but the gravy. The gravy stole the show. Brown sugar, mustard, garlic, and turkey drippings--think golden barbecue sauce--but still think gravy. Just trust me when I say this...
BEST. DAMN. GRAVY. EVER. 


The Ham

Dry rub-seasoned, glazed, and smoked to spiraled perfection. Enough said.


The Dressing
Buttery and fluffy. We put beer in it. It was divinity.
Chef Jeff also made a pomegranate and persimmon compote and fresh cranberry-orange sauce with macerated oranges to go with. Delish.


Roasted Potatoes Ready for the Smash

A variety of Colorado potatoes including russets, yellows,
reds, and fingerlings. Roasted and smashed like a boss.


Bourbon-Soaked Green Beens

Bourbon, bacon, onions, and garlic cooked into a jam for these green beans.


Pecan Pie

To die for. Secret recipe--all I know is it has bourbon in it.
I was told he'd have to kill me if he told me any more info.



Now, please excuse me while I enter a turkey-induced coma.

Happy Thanksgiving!






No comments:

Post a Comment