Sunday, January 29, 2017

Unorthodox






God works in mysterious ways. 


We've all heard that trite cliché. But I'm gonna venture a step further and say that God is completely unorthodox. He does not conform to your traditions. Your social conventions. Your feel-good philosophies. Your religious dogma. 


God can't be put in a box.


He will use any means necessary to reach you. He uses foolishness. He uses the mundane. He uses the miraculous. Even the inappropriate. He uses methods that perplex and confound the wise.


I write about God a lot. 


I guess I'm a bit of a Jesus-freak. (Sorry not sorry if you're not into that.) 
I can't help it. That's just who I am. But it's because I've seen Him work in my own life. I've heard His voice in my dreams. I've felt His presence in my body. Now do I sound like a weirdo? Well, I guess I'm okay with that.


I'm not the only weirdo, though. 


Two-thousand years ago, Mary got knocked up while she was still a virgin (Matthew 1:18). That is freaking weird, dude. The Creator of the Universe was growing inside of her. She was making the One who made her. 


Wrap your brain around that.



In the Old Testament, God made a donkey speak to Balaam to prevent him from pronouncing a curse on the Israelites (Numbers 22). He made the sun stand still in the sky at Joshua's request so the Israelites could defeat the Amorites in battle (Joshua 10). He told the prophet Hosea to marry a prostitute and make babies just to illustrate a simile: "for like an adulterous wife, this land is guilty of unfaithfulness to the Lord" (Hosea 1). He commanded the prophet Isaiah to walk around naked for three years just to send a message and talk smack to some foreign kings (Isaiah 20). 


That's how God does international diplomacy.


But perhaps you don't believe any of these stories. Perhaps you believe the Bible is foolishness. Outdated. Antiquated. Irrelevent. That's okay. No judgment here.


I, too, once thought I had it all figured out.


But the older I get, the more I realize that I am just beginning to understand the pervasive grace of God. The unfathomable depth of His love for humanity. The lengths He will go to woo me. And the lengths He will go to woo you, too. 



He will never stop pursuing us. 





No matter how far we run.





No matter where we hide.





No matter what we've done.




No comments:

Post a Comment