Tuesday, December 27, 2016

I See Myself in You





I see myself in you, little girl.

When they wink and call you cute, but they don't take you seriously.
I see myself in you.

When they expect you to go along just to get along instead of having a mind of your own. I see myself in you.

When they tell you to speak up for yourself and then you do, but they still don't listen. I see myself in you.

When they call you selfish for wanting more than the cards you've been given.
I see myself in you.

When they say, "Baby, you're gonna be a star if you sign on the dotted line."
I see myself in you.

When they pin you up just so they can pin you down. I see myself in you.

When they try to wham, bam, thank you, ma'am. I see myself in you.

When you make your bed and have to lie in it, too. I see myself in you.

When you feel naked and ashamed. I see myself in you.

When they come in and go out like you have swinging doors. I see myself in you.

When they take one down and pass it around. Ninety-nine bottles of I see myself in you.

When you forgive them for they know not what they do. I see myself in you.

When they feast on your flesh like it's holy communion. I see myself in you.

When you start to see the beauty in being broken. I see myself in you.

When you realize you are fearfully and wonderfully made. I see myself in you.

When you make a man inside you and are the making of the man beside you.
I see myself in you.

When your soul doth magnify the Lord. I see myself in you.

When you understand how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His love is for you. I see myself in you.

When you finally know your own strength and feel it burning in your chest.
I see myself in you.

When they tell you you're gonna turn out exactly like your mama.
I see myself in you.

And I hope you do, too.


2 comments: